kidskingston.com Forum Index

My BlogMain Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

summer camping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: summer camping

We are planning to take the kids camping this year. Where are some of the best campgrounds for kids?
Sweet Pea

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject:

My kids favorite close by is Cardinal KOA.
Depends on the kind of camping you are doing. I prefer the provincial parks.
hugurkids

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject:

We like Wellesley Island. It's only 30 minutes away, but is in the US so will need either a passport or enhanced license.
KFredsberg

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject:

In Ontario, my daughter's favourites are the Marmora KOA and McCullough's Landing in the Perth area. They are both private campgrounds with tons of activities for children. The KOA in Marmora has some themed weekends that the kids always enjoy and a daily wagon ride.

We also like the provincinal campgrounds at Silver Lake in Sharbot Lake area. It is fairly quiet, has a nice beach area and it's clean. We also really like Lake St. Peter Provincial Park close to the east gate of Algonquin Park. That campground is smaller - 62 sites, with a lovely beach, great scenery, and interesting walking trails. It's one of the friendliest provincial parks we have stayed at. Also close enough to the east gate to Algonquin Park which is where the visitor's centre is, as well as the logging museum if you need a break from the beach, or the weather turns nasty.

There is less privacy in a private campground than in the provincial campgrounds. My daughter is an only child, so she enjoys the private ones where the children participate in activities together, at least for part of each day. She always makes new friends and we end up having campfires with other families pretty well every night. The adults do stay up and chat after the kids are in bed. I'm not that social, so it does push the envelop for me. Always takes me a couple days to loosen up. In the provincial campgrounds in Ontario, everyone pretty much keeps to themselves....not true though in provincial or national parks in Eastern Canada. You may not be able to see each other from your camp site, but someone will show up to chat with you, invite you to dinner, the campfire, to a picnic on the beach. It's a totally different atmosphere in those campgrounds than here in Ontario.
ImagineDestiny

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject:

From a kid's perspective, I had a lot of fun at the various KOA's I've camped at. I also loved going to the Sandbanks, Charleston Lake and Presqu'ile. I haven't gone camping as an adult so that's just from my memory as a kid. Laughing
jammor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject:

We camp a few weekends each summer. My kids favourites are Desert Lake and the KOA in Ivy Lea. There are always tons of kids to play with and they have lots for them to do.
Michelle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject:

Wow, lots of great ideas! Thanks, I hadn't heard of many of those places so we will definitely check them out. The kids are pumped to go camping, I on the other hand would prefer a 5 star hotel/resort ... ah well, it's all about the kids, right?!! LOL!