kidskingston.com Forum Index

My BlogMain Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Frustrated RE: Family Doctor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
momof2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Frustrated RE: Family Doctor

Hey,

Well this is kind of a long story and I need to vent and also get opinions.

I started seeing my family doctor last Feb. She is in a clinic with two other doctors but she is my family physician and I have only seen her except one time when she was off and I had to see one of her colleges. Since I have been going there the receptionists have been extremely rude over the phone and also make an appt for a certain time and when I get therer it is the wrong appt time but I usually get in 30 to 45 mins later.

I had a prenatal appt where my family doctor seen me in Nov (they usally are every 4 weeks) and when I went to make my next appt for Dec , the receptionist said that it would have to be 3 weeks instead of 4 as with Christmas holifdays and such. So I took the appt. (She had given me this date before I went into see my doctor). So I advised my doctor I was given the appt for 3 weeeks and after that my next appt is for Jan with the OBGYN.She had told me that I didn't need to attend my Dec appt. I explained that if I didn't go it would be 9 weeks without any pre natal check up and I didn't feel comfortable with that as I was just in my 2nd trimester and anything can happen and for peace of mind. Regardless I kept that appt .
I asked at it. To do a blood work on me as with my history of low b12 and such I usually go every 3 months she refused.

I went to my prenatal appt last month and they did blood work and got back the tests last week from my obgyn that it is low at 123 instead of 165. She said call my family doctor and see what they want me to fdo to increase my self injectable b 12 shot... I called and gave my name and situation to the receptionist and she said she went to the doctor and the doctor said I'm not her patient but anothers in the clinic. I said since when and she said you never seen this doctor it was always so and so. I said I'm sorry I know who I've been going to and gave her my name again and she put me on hold . Another receptionsit came back rudely and asked what was going on... I explained and the original receptionist who took the call said it was her mistake and that she gave the doctor the wrong name. But to take my injectable med once a week instead of one a month. She didn't say how much so I asked her and she went back to ask the doctor, I also said how do I know the information you are giving me is for me as a patient and accurate as u never verified my date of birtg or such and because you and the doctor didn't know I was even a patient of hers...

Also at this clinic u have to wait 3 weeks for an appt.

I'm at my wits ends and do not feel comfortable with the level of care and professionalism there. Especially for my baby who is expected to be born in April.

I called the Queens University Health (located on Bagot Street) they said if I didn't have a family doctor they could takle me. Can I leave my family doctor and go with them? I already have my OBGYN for prenatal and enough meds for my b 12. For 2 months.
Jitterbug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to hear you're experiencing challenges with your family doc's office. Sad Here is a helpful MOH link which may answer some of your questions:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/ms/healthcareconnect/public/faq.aspx
caydensmommy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject:

That's a really tough spot to be in. Not a good feeling! The Family Medicine Centre wouldn't take you while you are with your doctor, but I suppose you could try just leaving her, and then calling them.

I love our doctor at the Family Medicine Centre. The residents we see sometimes leave something to be desired, but some of them are great, and I can always ask to speak to my doctor if something really important comes up. There are long waits to get an appt, just like anywhere, but they also have nurse practitioners, so sometimes I can get in to see them instead. I REALLY love the after hours clinics...we have used it many times rather than having to go to Urgent Care or COPC.
hez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject:

It might be a bit risky to just leave your family doctor and be without one. I am not sure what the wait list is like now, but a few years ago it was next to impossible to get a new family doctor.

It might be in your best interest to get your OB to intervene for you. Have them send orders to your family doc to make sure your health is not at risk.
momof2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for all your replies.

I was down at the Queens Center toay on Bagot Street.The earliest they could see me is potentialy in 2 months time at the earliest. This is a concern as I need regular blood work to monitor my B 12 and also refills on it .

The other concern is that when the baby is born ( and they say you should take the baby to visit your family doctor in the first week of life) would she have to go through the same process and haveto wait 2 months.

It is just a hard thing to do. I agree with Hex maybe the best thing to do is speak to my OBGYN about my concern of my family doctor and my and my babys care with her and see if she can refer me to another doctor.. OR like Hez specifically said maybe she can send an order to the family doctor to make sure my care is sufficent. IS this normally done?

I dont know it is hard as if I stay where I am at I am not comfortable with my level of care and honestly she does not listen to me and how I am feeling .
HaydensMommy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject:

hopingtobeamomsoon wrote:
Thank you for all your replies.

I was down at the Queens Center toay on Bagot Street.The earliest they could see me is potentialy in 2 months time at the earliest. This is a concern as I need regular blood work to monitor my B 12 and also refills on it .

The other concern is that when the baby is born ( and they say you should take the baby to visit your family doctor in the first week of life) would she have to go through the same process and haveto wait 2 months.

It is just a hard thing to do. I agree with Hex maybe the best thing to do is speak to my OBGYN about my concern of my family doctor and my and my babys care with her and see if she can refer me to another doctor.. OR like Hez specifically said maybe she can send an order to the family doctor to make sure my care is sufficent. IS this normally done?

I dont know it is hard as if I stay where I am at I am not comfortable with my level of care and honestly she does not listen to me and how I am feeling .

We did not have a family Dr. when my son was born as we would only be staying in Ottawa for the first month of his life before we moved. For his 1 week check-up we just took him to a clinic.
mom-of-two

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject:

caydensmommy wrote:
There are long waits to get an appt, just like anywhere, but they also have nurse practitioners, so sometimes I can get in to see them instead.

We're with the Kingston Family Health Team and we don't have to wait for appointments. If I call today for a sick child, I can nearly always get in today. At most, I have to wait one day. They prefer that all appts be booked as needed and so they are able to offer this quick service. Wellness checks for babies/kids and physicals for adults, can all be booked with same or next-day service.

I think the previous advice, going through your OB, is great advice. It's so hard to switch doctors. On the other hand, would a doctor switch bring the family doctor any closer to home? You could try that to justify a switch if you aren't comfortable explaining your reasons.
lil_geek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject:

hopingtobeamomsoon wrote:

WIth our dr's office I find that if I call for an appointment about me (random item, physical, etc.) I wait quite a while - however if I call for a sick kid I get in really quick (even if I need to see a different doctor or a NP). Most doctors book to a certain percentage and keep a number of open appointments per day to see higher concern items (not minimizing your need to see the dr or justifying a 2 month wait - but they have a degree they need to prioritize when people call)

As for well child visits - usually about a week (and they ask us to book our next one when we are in. So you may notice the expectation of care is different for the baby.
momof2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject:

Momoftwo- thanks for your reply. I think I will bring the concern up with my OBGYN.

Lil Geek- thank you for your reply. The wait time I understand but it wasn't a matter of no appts available for two months. I had regular pre natal care for 4 months prior to that every 4 weeks. Then because my next appt would of been at 3 instead of 4. She said don't bother coming. I am sorry but pre natal care once a month is usually standard and a lot can go wrong in a two month period between appts especially when you have other medical conditions. What makes it even worse was the brush off of a line that I could just go to a walk in clinick for a check up to which I was thing , why do I have a family doctor then.

To top it off to not know I'm a patient there after giving my information and then giving me directions to take medication for another patients profile. I'm sorry its not right.

I do agree with you regarding wait time and most certainly I would hope a sick child would get priority which is excellent and I hope the clinic I currenly go to works like that.
caydensmommy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject:

Mom-of-Two, that's a great system! I wonder why more practices don't do it that way?

Offices will MAKE time to see a newborn. The Ministry has mandated that newborns must be seen in the first 3-5 days after discharge from the hospital.
KFredsberg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject:

We go to the Family Medicine Centre on Bagot Street which is the Queen's Family Health Team. I have had a couple of bad residents, but otherwise, we've been really happy there. They have always been able to get my daughter in same day for ear infections, fever etc. Last minute we don't usually see our doctor, or our doctor's residents, but they get us in with somebody. When I had a total breakdown after my DH's car accident, I called to get an appointment and the receptionist heard my voice, transferred me to the nurse, and I was told to come in right away. I was seen within the hour. The nurses there are great and if you can't get an appointment soon enough through the receptionist, if you ask to speak to the nurse, and she feels you need to be seen earlier, they make it happen.

I also love that they have an on-call service. If it's after clinic hours and you don't know whether you can wait until morning or need to be seen right away you can call the service number and a resident calls you back. They opened the clinic at 10pm to see my husband when his poison sumac rash turned into cellulitis in his leg. They felt he did need to be seen ASAP, but that it was not life threatening and could be dealt with in clinic rather than the ER, so the resident and the doctor on call both met my DH at the clinic on Bagot. No need to call that ridiculous Tele-Health and no need to wait 5 hours in the ER to get a prescription for antibiotics. If you don't need to be seen right away, the resident on call will give you care instructions until you can be seen in the clinic, or if it's a life threatening emergency they will tell you to go the ER and will then call ahead for you.

They also have their own after hours clinic Monday-Thursday and on Saturday. I have used it few times and waited less than 30 minutes to be seen, and it keeps those patients out of the other walk-in clinics. I also like it because they have our charts on the computer system and can see our history, rather than having to tell the walk-in clinic doctor your entire history and hoping you don't forget something important.
Zohiegirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject:

caydensmommy wrote:
Mom-of-Two, that's a great system! I wonder why more practices don't do it that way?

Offices will MAKE time to see a newborn. The Ministry has mandated that newborns must be seen in the first 3-5 days after discharge from the hospital.

Yes under Ministry policy newborns are a high priority in any practice. I too am with a Family Health team (Maple FHT) and they are awesome. I am lucky I have been with my provider for over 25 years now but he is cutting back hours but the slack is picked up from the rest of the FHT which is wonderful. If you can get in with a FHT in Kingston it would be beneficial. You can search online for Kingston Family Health Teams and most have home pages - it should show on there how to become a patient. You can also go onto the Health Care Connect website and try and find a provider via this route.
Dolphinmom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject:

I was with the family health team ( MAple FHT) for at least 2-3 years. During that time I had okay service.

WHen I asked about a check up for my daughter age 2, we saw the DR once and then whenever I called due to her cough, etc I was told to wait a week( same day bookings??)
( or go to after hours ( kinda hard when I work nights) , did not feel right to go to COPC as I have a DR. WHen I asked should she have yearly check ups the answer was no only if you have a concern.

With my other daughter, I was 3 minutes late to the appointment. IT was around lunch time. THe receptionist said The DR cannot see you , she is gone since you are 3 minutes late. She said she can re book and I said NO thanks, I will be looking for another DR.

I did not like the family health team or at least my Dr's way of booking patients. This was same day bookings and you could not book ahead. I did finally see a nurse practitioner. But I was never referred to a nurse practitioner or another DR. I was simply told to call back next week or if something comes up to ER.

I am with the Greenwood medical Center now and think they are awesome.

Good luck. I think babies need to be seen. I am sure I saw young moms at the COPC getting the baby looked at as well.
mariana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject:

*bump*

I don't know if he is taking new patients, but I am extremely happy with the care I receive from Dr. Ramachandran at Reddendale Family Health Centre. He is the first doctor I've seen who actually listens to me and doesn't treat me as a child. He knows (and remembers) that I have a background in Phys Ed and takes me seriously when I bring up concerns. He is also very open to hearing about "alternative" methods of medicine. He wasn't extremely familiar with the effectiveness of charting as a method of birth control, but he actually spent time with me looking at charts and learning (gasp! learning from a patient!) about the method. He actually seemed excited to be learning "new" information from a patient.

Dr. Ramachandran is also responsible for me finding out that I have a thyroid condition that went years without being diagnosed (and explained my constant inability to tolerate cold, even in my native Brazil)... he looked beyond my lifestyle choices to my family history and did a full blood exam to be sure... while he did not find the diabetes he might expect, considering the family history, he did find extremely low TSH levels. He ordered the test twice to be sure and has been on top of maintaining my medication in check ever since.

Furthemore, he is not only comfortable, but supportive of me seeing midwives for my pregnancies, which unfortunately is not the case with many doctors. He maintains good contact with the midwives about my regular bloodwork requisitions as well.

Anyway, as I said, I don't know if he's taking new patients, but other doctors at Reddendale (Maple Family Health) might be. I have no complaints about the services I have received there. The staff is always friendly.
www.achieverfitness.com