kidskingston.com Forum Index

My BlogMain Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Wee Watch & LARC child care

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carrielyn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Wee Watch & LARC child care

Posting this for my sister who is interested in becoming a licensed home provider through wee watch or larc, etc.

She is wanting to hear good/bad feedback from people who are or have worked for these companies.

We have only heard of the two mentioned agencies. Are there any others in the Kingston area?

She is also interested in the amount of income she can make. Does she set her own rates or do the agencies? And, does she do her own deductions/taxes or does the agency?

Please pm me with details if you have any info to share and I will pass it on to her.

Thanks! Smile
jenwhite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:

Hi there,
I'd like to share my experience with Wee Watch for whatever it's worth...
Four years ago, while searching for a daycare for my son, I contacted Wee Watch. They set up interviews with their "licensed caregivers". Here is what we were sent to:
First interview.... An older woman (probably 65?) who was lonely and wanted to look after children for company. No toys, no baby or kid proofing...and let my son crawl into her kitchen and rummage through cupboards where she said.."there is nothing that will hurt him in there".....What? On to the second interview.....
A young 19 year old girl with a 7 month old baby who lived in an apartment. She didn't feel like returning to her job at Wal-Mart cause it "sucked". Also not a baby proofed home, very messy, with dirty dishes on the glass coffee table and a dirty ashtray on the kitchen table.
By this point we were definitely losing faith in the Wee Watch program. Thought we would give the last interview a shot as it was in a very good neighborhood....Interview #3....
A single mother of 4 children.....empty beer cases stacked in the kitchen, no outdoor toys (it was summer)....yet she had four kids of her own. A toy room where the kids play "most of the time"...about the size of a small walk in closet. Enough said.

So, my point is that being registered with Wee Watch does not give you any more credibility than doing it on your own. I believe that Wee Watch is a business like any other and are in it for profit....they take a portion of your earnings.
I am also opening a home daycare of my own in the spring and without hesitation am doing it as an unlicensed home daycare on my own!!

Hope this helps...

Proud mom to Nicholas and Gavin
Dee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject:

I agree with the above post. I had Wee Watch assist me in finding childcare however after a few interviews I asked for my name to be removed from the list. I was surprised with some of the conditions of the daycare's. In my experience there so called "licensed" is far from my standards. I understand Wee watch make surprise visits and minimum standards are met but I was disappointed with my interviews. Again to reinforce the point that they are a business in themselves.

Speaking as a mother who had to find childcare independently I interviewed tons of daycare’s (both home and licensed) and we made a decision based on who was the right fit for our child.........licensed or not!! We found an AWSOME home daycare.
carrielyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject:

Wow... I have heard bad things about Wee Watch, but that just confirms them. What a shame, that's just terrible.

I didn't realize we also had Kids Care Network (home childcare).... can anyone share experiences with them?
Jen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject:

I had a good experience with Wee watch, I did find the caregiver on my own and she happened to be working with them. I did not do any interviewing of others as I already knew the person.
I am sure there are good and bad in all agencies, sometimes it takes a while to find the right person.
As for working for any of them, I cannot say. I do know that the agency pays you, fees are paid directly to the agency. I would assume that they then take care of all income tax deductions.
I believe however, that you are still able to have some "private" children as well...keeping within the required numbers, then she could set her own rate for them?
Beverley2310

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject:

I was a provider with Kingston Daycare until January 2008-then went on my own. Are they now Kids Care Network ? Anyways- a very disorganized group. Honestly, it would be better to go on your own. For example, there is no guarantee that your sister would get children more than 1 or 2 children as they need to follow the licenced guidelines for ages. 1 under 1, 2 under 2 etc. Most of the children KD had for home childcare were 2 and under, so I never had more than 2 children. As for the fees, they took a cut off the top. For an infant the rate was $30 and KD took $7 per day per child for their fees. So for 2 children from 730am to 5pm I was making $46 total. Now, I don't know if all KCN does this as well. I ended up staying with them for just over a year, realised I was getting screwed since they were taking the money from me, but not providing what they promised. My families ended up coming with me when I went private and since then, on my own, I have gotten B/A children and 4 others (some part time). I can have up to 5 children at one time any age plus our 2 children. With licenced, if your sister has children and they are under 7, they will count in her numbers if they are home during the day as she will only be able to have 5 children maximum. Honestly, if your sister is looking into doing this, it is worth just getting FA/CPR, CPIC and going on her own. I still follow the KD booklet in terms of making a good contract and following holidays etc. Also, with the licenced home childcare, they will tell you what to do with your home, such as keep this closet for daycare only, you have to move this and that around even if you do not use that area for daycare. A lot of hassle and intrusion. It is common sense basically and they want you to live and breath them, even after hours. Lots of paper work to hand in. And with KD, they never came by to visit unexpectantly, but pretended they did and filled out the paperwork. I found this out when I called the head person and vented a bit.

Good luck,
Bev

www.facebook.com/LotusCreationsbyBev

I SPY BAGS, PEEK A BOO BAGS AND MORE
Momto4Babes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject:

There is also Rural VISIONS Home Child Care which covers most homes north of the 401.

I would suggest your sister meet with the agencies and see what she thinks. No one has posted here with positives about any of the agencies and I believe there are positives to being licensed as well as negatives.

Both KCN and RVC take care of the money for you. The families pay them and they pay you. Yes there are regulations but they are there for a reason very similar to the reasoning behind the ratios in a more institutional daycare.

I used to license home daycares and if your sister would like to speak with me you have her email me. mom207boys @ hotmail .com

I personally have always had my children in licensed spaces whenever I needed consistent/regular childcare. Just a comfort factor for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Beverley2310

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I think the only positives with a licenced daycare (at least for me) is that if I had an appointment, they may have had a back up provider to cover for me, but not always. They also paid for First Aid/CPR, and had workshops which were required, but half the time not everyone bothered showing up to. I feel that you get just as good, quality care with a private homecare than you would a licenced. Just because you have them behind you does not promise a good provider as we have read above.

As for rates here is what I made with KDC. All rates are with the $7 per day per child taken off. Infant $23, Toddler $21.50 Schoolage $20.50 per day. And with them the parents paid the daycare centre their fees and paid me the daily rates.

carrielyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject:

This is all very interesting! Thank you everyone...
scrappymom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject:

I did use a home care provider who was under WeeWatch but we knew her before which is why we used her. Anyway, her experience wasn't great. She found that logs were "created" that claimed they made home visits when they didn't, including her forged signature. After a few incidents like this, she decided to terminate her contract as she believed that they were not living up to their end of the bargain and were being dishonest. This, I believe, has now become a situation involving the courts!!!! She was a great care provider but not sure it had anything to do with the liscensing agency
Beverley2310

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject:

Scrappymom,

Exactly what happened to me. Saying they visited when in fact they didn't and not keeping to their promises of finding me children to watch. That is the reason for me going on my own. Why should I pay them their fees when they aren't doing anything for me.

Well my little ones have arrived now so I will finish.

Bev

joeleitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Lets face it, you might as well do the business yourself and not bother with the agencies because you will earn more money for yourself as well. Anyone that is looking over your shoulder and says that they will provide you with children to look after are going to expect good payment for their service. It doesn't sound like it's worth getting involved with the dubious outfits that have been described here. It will be more rewarding for your sister to setup her daycare the way that she wants and to get her own clients.

-----------------
daycare furniture
diapersrus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject:

jenwhite wrote:
Hi there,
I'd like to share my experience with Wee Watch for whatever it's worth...
Four years ago, while searching for a daycare for my son, I contacted Wee Watch. They set up interviews with their "licensed caregivers". Here is what we were sent to:
First interview.... An older woman (probably 65?) who was lonely and wanted to look after children for company. No toys, no baby or kid proofing...and let my son crawl into her kitchen and rummage through cupboards where she said.."there is nothing that will hurt him in there".....What? On to the second interview.....
A young 19 year old girl with a 7 month old baby who lived in an apartment. She didn't feel like returning to her job at Wal-Mart cause it "sucked". Also not a baby proofed home, very messy, with dirty dishes on the glass coffee table and a dirty ashtray on the kitchen table.
By this point we were definitely losing faith in the Wee Watch program. Thought we would give the last interview a shot as it was in a very good neighborhood....Interview #3....
A single mother of 4 children.....empty beer cases stacked in the kitchen, no outdoor toys (it was summer)....yet she had four kids of her own. A toy room where the kids play "most of the time"...about the size of a small walk in closet. Enough said.

So, my point is that being registered with Wee Watch does not give you any more credibility than doing it on your own. I believe that Wee Watch is a business like any other and are in it for profit....they take a portion of your earnings.
I am also opening a home daycare of my own in the spring and without hesitation am doing it as an unlicensed home daycare on my own!!

Hope this helps...

A year later and this still makes me laugh out loud...
I'm sure it wasn't funny for you at the time.
Makes me think of a bad Simpsons or Trailer Park Boys episode....